History

St. Mary School opened over 50 years ago, and our tradition of excellence in Catholic education continues. St. Mary parish is very supportive of the school and is committed to providing quality, faith based education to our students. St. Mary School is one of six  elementary schools within the Bishop O✝Gorman Catholic Schools system. 

St. Mary School opened in 1949 in the basement of St. Mary Church. The original school building was constructed in 1954 with additions completed in 1968 and 2011 to accommodate growing enrollment. St. Mary School was originally Kindergarten through 8th grade until the completion of the centralized Junior High located on the O'Gorman High campus in 1991.   

Later Preschool classes were added to the school. St. Mary School is centrally located in Sioux Falls and currently serves approximately 360 students, preschool through sixth grade. In addition to serving the parish of St. Mary, it draws students from across the city and region, including families who are not Catholic.